- RSS Channel Showcase 5658883
- RSS Channel Showcase 3594864
- RSS Channel Showcase 2477193
- RSS Channel Showcase 9756011
Articles on this Page
- 12/18/17--11:08: _CELJ offering senio...
- 12/28/17--10:05: _Roberts Wesleyan st...
- 01/03/18--10:04: _Baird Nursing Home ...
- 01/08/18--13:55: _Lifespan to assist ...
- 01/18/18--11:20: _Bill Walton to head...
- 02/26/18--08:51: _Retired Men and Wom...
- 03/09/18--12:46: _Retired Men and Wom...
- 03/14/18--13:49: _Lifespan introduces...
- 03/19/18--14:32: _Seniors more comfor...
- 03/22/18--07:37: _Retired Men and Wom...
- 03/23/18--07:55: _Irish dancers enter...
- 03/23/18--09:56: _Reilich, town board...
- 12/18/17--11:08: CELJ offering senior legal advice helpline
- 12/28/17--10:05: Roberts Wesleyan student ministry visits local seniors
- 01/03/18--10:04: Baird Nursing Home warns of long flu season
- 01/08/18--13:55: Lifespan to assist Western Union scam victims
- 01/18/18--11:20: Bill Walton to headline Lifespan’s Celebration of Aging
- 02/26/18--08:51: Retired Men and Women’s Club to meet March 14
- 03/09/18--12:46: Retired Men and Women’s Club to meet March 28
- 03/14/18--13:49: Lifespan introduces new service for older adults
- 03/19/18--14:32: Seniors more comfortable planning for funerals than care
- 03/22/18--07:37: Retired Men and Women’s Club to meet April 11
- 03/23/18--07:55: Irish dancers entertain Gates seniors
- 03/23/18--09:56: Reilich, town board participate in March for Meals campaign
Seniors in Monroe, Livingston, Steuben and Allegany counties have a new tool available through the Center for Elder Law & Justice that provides brief legal services, referrals and in-depth legal services in the caller’s geographic area.The helpline provides legal advice in all civil areas of law, with the most common questions including consumer credit and landlord/tenant law. For many seniors, the first experience they have with poverty is when they retire or become too disabled to [...]
Members of In Jesus’ Name, a student ministry at Roberts Wesleyan College, brought holiday cheer during a recent visit to Westwood Commons, a DePaul senior living community in North Chili. In Jesus’ Name started at Roberts Wesleyan in 2007, and its students regularly visit seniors at Westwood Commons. Members most recently came to count their blessings and share small gifts with residents in honor of Thanksgiving. The ministry celebrated National Pi Day with Westwood [...]
The annual influenza season is underway, and the New York State Department of Health advises the public to be aware of health risks in the upcoming months. The department mandated that all unvaccinated health care employees wear masks to help stop the spread of the flu virus. Unvaccinated visitors to all health care facilities are asked to wear masks, as well. If individuals plan on getting vaccinated, a mask still will need to be worn for two weeks to allow the body to develop immunity. [...]
Lifespan of Greater Rochester, 1900 S. Clinton Ave., is assisting older adults who wired funds from a Western Union location between Jan. 1, 2004, and Jan. 19, 2017, and believe they were a victim of fraud. Leita King, scam prevention coordinator, is available to assist in completing the Western Union petition for remission forms. Call (585) 287-6371 for information.The Federal Trade Commission announced in November 2017 that consumers who lost money to scammers through Western Union [...]
Bill Walton, former UCLA and NBA player and current ESPN commentator, will speak at Lifespan’s Celebration of Aging luncheon at noon on March 29 at Joseph A. Floreano Riverside Convention Center, 123 E. Main St., Rochester. Walton, 65, is known for the mindset he cultivated, and credits for his ability to adapt, persevere and succeed in his challenges on and off the court. Those challenges included congenital foot problems, a lifelong stutter and severe back pain. Lifespan will [...]
The Retired Men and Women’s Club of Greater Rochester will meet from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on March 14 at Carlson MetroCenter YMCA, 444 E. Main St., Rochester. Paul Dougherty, a chiropractor, will present “Pain: Startling New Research Based on Recent Studies.” The venue is handicapped-accessible. Call (585) 663-0932 or (585) 278-6483 for information.
The Retired Men and Women’s Club of Greater Rochester will meet from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on March 28 at Carlson MetroCenter YMCA, 444 E. Main St., Rochester. Ernesto Barcelo, a financial adviser, will present “The Economy Now and the Future Outlook.” The venue is handicapped-accessible. Call (585) 663-0932 or (585) 278-6483 for information.
Lifespan of Greater Rochester is launching SilverlineNY, a new service with the goal of combating loneliness for older adults. SilverlineNY matches volunteer “phone buddies” with older adults who are lonely, isolated or shut-in and who would benefit from friendly phone calls.“Our volunteers want to help people who feel alone; they want to make an impact,” said Deb Palumbos, program administrator. “Our hope is that the people we call will feel re- [...]
In today’s share-everything culture, final years planning might seem like the last taboo. In an effort to avoid the topic, seniors and their adult children often do not take the necessary steps to plan for their final years of life, which include getting financial affairs in order and creating plans for care in case of declining health.A new survey by Home Instead Inc. found that while 73 percent of seniors have a written will, only 13 percent have actually made arrangements for long- [...]
The Retired Men and Women’s Club of Greater Rochester will meet from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on April 11 at Carlson MetroCenter YMCA, 444 E. Main St., Rochester. Joanne Lampey, president of Recovery International, will present “Recovery International.” The venue is handicapped-accessible. Call (585) 663-0932 or (585) 278-6483 for information.
Episcopal SeniorLife Communities recently welcomed dancers from Rochester Academy of Irish Dance at Seabury Woods in Gates to entertain residents and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.Seabury Woods offers assisted living apartments, memory care studios and patio homes.“We take pride in providing excellent, individualized care for each of our residents, and are always looking to enhance our services by partnering with community organizations,” said Maureen Williams, [...]
Supervisor Bill Reilich; Greece councilmembers Diana Christodaro, Mike Barry, Bill Murphy and Josh Jensen; Andrew Conlon, receiver of taxes; and representatives from the UR Medicine Home Care program recently participated in a nationwide March for Meals campaign.Established during the 1970s, the Meals on Wheels program has grown to become one the largest volunteer-based programs in the country. Every day, millions of meals are delivered across the country to senior citizens who are unable [...]